The Memorial Ground
Our main facility is the Memorial Ground in the North end of the city of Worcester. It is a compact playing arena with a backdrop of trees and shrubbery. Laid as a cricket ground in the early 1950's the club moved from its former home at Flagge Meadow to play its first match in 1952. Originally the square was laid in the opposite direction to which it runs today. The east to west orientation was soon scrapped in 1953 to allow a more conventional north- south configuration.
In the early 1980s and 90s the ground was also used by Northwick Manor and Worcester Colts football teams with a full size (albeit small) soccer pitch running from the top end of the square. The senior football team departed in the mid 1990's and the junior teams used their pitch, as well as one in front of the pavilion. The addition of a perimeter fence in 2002 at the top end of the ground effectively restricted use to the now popular mini soccer. We now no longer have football on the main playing arena.
The original pavilion was demolished in 1997,and after several months of building works and temporary changing facilities, the new building was completed in late October of that year. The driving force behind the pavilion construction, and its Lottery funding was Barry Briscoe, a former player and stalwart of the club. Following the death of Club President Ralf Davis in that year the works were finally overseen by our previous Chairman Tim Phillips. The new pavilion was officially opened in May 1998 by ex-Worcestershire and England cricketer Tim Curtis, himself a non-playing Old Elizabethan. The main club room was named "The Ralf Davis Room" in his memory.
The poplar trees, which were originally planted to act as a barrier to the golf course and have lined the ground for many years, have been removed as they were groowing too closely together. The tree line will be enhanced by allowing lower level trees to flourish and maintain the pleasing outlook to both the golf course and cricket ground.